Here are some questions to ask a potential counsellor: –
- Do you abide by a code of conduct that outlines client rights? Can I have a copy?
- Do you have professional indemnity and public liability insurance?
- Are you a financial member of an accredited professional body?
- Do you receive regular professional supervision and guidance?
- Are your qualifications from an accredited program?
- Have you completed your training as a counsellor?
If they answer no to any of the above or are evasive in their answers, consider terminating the meeting as quickly as possible.
Some other pertinent questions are: –
- What are your hourly rates, and what are the costs involved?
- What is the standard length of a counselling session?
- What happens if the session goes over time?
- What are my rights of recourse?
- Do you take notes? If so, how are they recorded and stored? Can I read them? If not, why?
- Do you use client/counsellor contracts to outline my rights and responsibilities?